Jamie Coreth graduated from Oxford in 2010 with a degree in Archaeology and Anthropology. Keen to pursue a career as an artist, he studied at the London Atelier of Representational Art and the Florence Academy of Art. In 2014 he graduated from the Academy where, alongside his own studies, he had been working as an Art History lecturer and assistant tutor. In his final year Jamie was awarded the ‘Best Painting of the Year’ prize.
In June 2016, a year after returning to London, his portrait Dad Sculpting Me was awarded the Young Artist Award at the BP Portrait Awards, National Portrait Gallery, London. The painting depicts Jamie’s father, the sculptor Mark Coreth, sculpting Jamie. The pair ‘sat’ for their respective portraits over the course of a month, both artists worked solely from life. The judges of the BP Portrait Award commented, “we were drawn to the timeless quality of the painting and its treatment of a father and son relationship through art”.
In 2018 Broken Bodies, an arresting portrait of former soldier, turned sculptor, Mark Jackson, was accepted into the BP Portrait Exhibition to much acclaim.
Two years later, his work Portrait of Fatima was shortlisted for the BP Portrait Award – and was also selected for both the cover of the catalogue and the National Portrait Gallery’s marketing campaign. He later won the Visitors’ Choice with over 1,000 votes.
With three entries into this prestigious award, Jamie Coreth has established himself as one of Britain’s leading portrait artists. He paints with an intelligence and originality. He focusses on the character of his sitters, evoking a sense of their presence in his work. His technical facility sits in harmony with a modern vision.
We were drawn to the timeless quality of the painting and its treatment of a father and son relationship through art.BP Portrait Award Judges
Get in touch
You can see a selection of Jamie’s works for sale below. If you would like to commission Jamie, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the gallery on 020 7839 2792.
Jamie’s influences may be rooted in the great traditions of the past – the swagger portraits of Sargent and de Laszlo – but he is also of his own generation, and deceptively modern. he is undoubtedly one of the best portrait artists working today.Simon Berry
Selected awards & exhibitions
- 2022: Awarded second place in The Portrait Society of America’s Annual International Portrait Competition, Atlanta, USA
- 2021: Group: Elwes & Coreth: Relatives in portraiture, Fine Art Commissions, London, UK
- 2020: Awarded BP Portrait Award Visitors’ Choice
- 2020: Shortlisted for BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery, London, UK
- 2020: Group: Stage & Screen, Fine Art Commissions, London, UK
- 2019: Group: Summer Portraiture Exhibition, Fine Art Commissions, London, UK
- 2018: Shortlisted for BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery, London, UK
- 2017: Group: Fresh Paint, Fine Art Commissions, London, UK
- 2016: The Young Artist Award, BP Portrait Awards, National Portrait Gallery, London
- 2015: Group: Selfie, Fine Art Commissions, London, UK
- 2015: Group: Contemporary Masters, Fine Art Commissions, London, UK
- 2014: Awarded ‘Best Painting of the Year’ prize at the Florence Academy
- 2014: Group: Represent Art London, London, UK
- 2012: Awarded NADFAS painting prize at an exhibition at Guggleton Gallery, Dorset, UK
- 2012: Awarded the Queen Elizabeth Scholarship in order to study at the London Atelier of Representational Art
Selected commissions & collections
- The Corporation of Trinity House of Deptford Strond (HRH The Princess Royal)
- Canterbury Cathedral (Dr Robert Willis, The Dean of Canterbury)
- The Baltic Exchange (Mr Guy Campbell)
- The Baltic Exchange (Mr Lambros Varnivides)
- MOD Chaplains (The Chaplain General, Jonathan Woodhouse)
- MOD Chaplains (The Chaplain General, Stephen Robbins)
- MOD Chaplains (The Chaplain General, Dr David Coulter)
- Berry Bros & Rudd (Mr Simon Berry)
- The Rifles Regiment (General Carter CBE)
- J. & J. Denholm Ltd (Mr John Denholm)
- White’s Club (Lieutenant Colonel Sir Archibald David Stirling, DSO OBE)
- Oriel College, Oxford University (Professor Rex Nettleford)
- Emeritus Professor David Lewis Williams
- Miss Alice Eve
- Federal Judge, Hon. Kimba Wood
- Mr Derren Brown
Works for sale
Please click the images to see sizes and pricing.
Yasmina Zanasi in Mary Katrantzou’s ‘Alchemy’ dress
Yasmina Zanasi in Mary Katrantzou’s ‘Alchemy’ dress, version 2
Self Portrait with an Expression of a Sculpture
Will Frazer (study)
I fell in love with Jamie’s painting many years ago, after seeing his work at the National Gallery and online. Eventually we made contact, and I sat for him perhaps three times for a portrait. Those afternoons in his beautiful studio were utterly delightful: he is an exemplar of self-effacing charm and fascinating person to learn from. Seeing the piece come together was genuinely breath-taking. He manages to balance a grand, traditional technique with a modern vision, let alone produce a stunning realism. My portrait holds centre-stage in my house, which is potentially a bit big-headed. But it’s a Coreth, and it’s magical, and I’m so very delighted we did it.Derren Brown